Thursday, October 28, 2010

Getting Rid of High Fructose Corn Syrup


And let me tell you, it is in everything. Everything from our bread to our snacks and of course my vice, Dr Pepper. After reading around on the internet, Karl and I decided that we can't in good conscience allow our children to ingest it any more. Even if we don't believe in the mercury findings, there are just too many links to other health issues for us to ignore.

So, since we just went grocery shopping, my first decision is how to start the process. I did think about just donating what I could to a food pantry and tossing the rest, but like most families, we just can't afford to do that. Since we can't just start from scratch, we are going to finish off what we have and replace it with healthier options. I actually think that this will make it so much easier on me as I can work on gradually learning how to shop and fix meals that are HFCS free, instead of just being thrown into it full force.

This week we will be replacing our ketchup (which according to any British citizen HAS to be Heinz) with Heinz Organic Ketchup, 15-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 12) and our old granola bars with Cascadian Farms Organic Chewy Granola Bar, Chocolate Chip, 6-Count Boxes (Pack of 6).

I might eventually start making our granola bars, but for now I am taking the easy route while I am learning so as not to overwhelm myself.

Somethings I am learning right now: Organic doesn't always mean better! Sometimes the organics are packed with other things that aren't healthy so just because it says organic doesn't mean you shouldn't check the label. Healthy food is more expensive. I am definitely going to have to be more consistant and more creative with my menu planning. We may go bankrupt, but we will be healthy when we do!

If you have any tips for me I would love to hear them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that may help. Of course, info is going to be duplicated.

http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html

http://highfructosehigh.com/no-hfcs/

http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.com/2009/03/looking-for-hfcs-free-food-check-out.html

Mom

Thosetwogirls said...

Thanks! Having that list is going to be really helpful. I am going to hit costco soon to pick up some grains and such. I want to replace the bad stuff with a great variety of good stuff.

julie said...

I tried to do that too... but like you said, it is in EVERYTHING! I even made our bread for probably 6 months. It is all very time consuming. I almost feel like it is a battle I cannot win! My family's eating habits have been on my mind a lot lately though and you have motivated me again to keep pushing on. I heard that high fructose corn syrup is shown to 'feed' cancer cells? I need to find it... make it more of a fact than "heard it". Just scary if its true!... since it is in EVERYTHING!

Thosetwogirls said...

Natures Own Wheat bread is HFCS free. I am going to have to pick my battles for sure on what is being made from scratch. I will buy sandwhich bread but make rolls, french bread and things like that.

I have heard some stuff about the cancer but the biggest wake up for me was the mercury.

I do feel like it is my responsibility to make sure that what we are eating is good for us. So we can do it together Julie!

Anonymous said...

My oldest son is allergic to red dye, so ever since we discovered that I've had to read EVERY label on EVERYTHING I purchase. And I also try to avoid a LOT of HFCS. I'm okay with them having it in moderation, I just consider it junk food, so I"m okay with it being in junk food, which we limit. But I don't want it in our staples, like bread.

Sara Lee makes a whole wheat bread that is HFCS free. Plus it's not too expensive, so it fits the budget, which make me extra happy!

I did a post on one of blogs in March on HFCS-there is a link to a Princton Study and a couple of documentaries well worth watching. http://theskinnywallet.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/the-truth-about-high-fructose-corn-syrup/