Monday, July 5, 2010

Pantry Challenge


We are all guilty of it. We buy something and forget we have it and before you realize it, you are throwing it out(or in the case of the 25 boxes of jello I have found, just storing it long term). Now that we are back from England and I have restocked our food I am sitting down to menu plan. I had joked with Karl earlier in the week about having one of those smart fridges that tells you what you can cook based on what you actually have in stock. Well, turns out the fridge is a bit beyond our price range (and I am not sure it actually exists yet), so I did a search on the internet.



SuperCook is a FREE recipe generator that allows you to input your stock into a data base and pulls out recipes that use ONLY the ingredients you put in! Other great features include a suggestion bubble that allows you to click on the item to add it, saving you time, and by clicking on the specific items it will pull recipes that use that particular item.


Registering is pretty straight forward: username and real name, email, age and gender are required, but you do not have to activate the account to get started. Oh, and did I mention that it's free?!


There are a few problems, the main one being that it doesn't recognize some of my stock items (apple cider vinegar for one) but nothing that has turned me off of the program.


My goal is to use SuperCook to use up some of the items I have purchased that are just sitting in my pantry. This is especially great for us couponers that tend to end up with items (for free) that we normally wouldn't purchase but thought we might use eventually.


Join me in using up your stock items!



2 comments:

Kelly said...

Cute Blog! I just found it doing a search for school rooms and your came up! :) Hope you are having a great vacation!!

Thosetwogirls said...

Yay! I am so glad you found me. Its fun to know I show up on search engines! Be sure to enter my zoobooks giveaway!