Friday, May 17, 2013

Facebook Saves My Sanity

There have been a plethora of posts by fellow homeschooling moms about the dangers of Facebook. Great posts, posts with great truths of how Facebook can suck up our time, distract us from our children, cause drama, and sometimes even marital problems.

But Facebook can be good too. For me, Facebook is a window to the world outside of my home. It allows me to have regular adult conversation, share joys and frustrations and relieve stress. You see, I am extremely extroverted. I crave and require regular interaction with adults. I use that interaction to recharge. In the same way that an introvert NEEDS to be alone sometimes, I NEED to be with people. Since my choice to homeschool keeps me at home most of the time, or hoping from kids activity to kids activity, Facebook gives me that outlet.

The truth is that sometimes homeschooling, especially out in the country, can be lonely. As much as I enjoy the company of my children, it does not fill the need for grown up conversation and company.

So, yes, Facebook can become an idol. It can come between you and what you should be doing, but managed correctly, it can also be a wonderful way to interact with others. So homeschooling moms, don't feel guilty about spending a bit of time on the internet if that is what keeps you charged!




post signature

3 comments:

Alexis @ A Moment with MOM said...

I whole heartedly agree Anna, great post! Homeschooling can be very lonely for those of us living in the country or not in areas with well knit homeschool groups. FB can be a great way to network and connect with other, we just have to be mindful to keep it in check and remember or first priority is our home. ~Alexis on behalf of everyone at A Moment with MOM

Thosetwogirls said...

For sure! There are definitely moments when I catch myself spending just a little too much time or attention on the computer. My kids do a great job of letting me know when I need to do a heart check. They always seem to pop out with something that reminds me where my priorities need to be. Thanks for your comment!

Little Hillbilly Woman said...

Facebook is also an excellent way to contact your family and friends when you have prayer requests!