Thursday, March 15, 2012

Whole Grain Pancakes - A Taste Sensation

Recently, my cousin introduced me to freshly milled wheat.  It is very, very good.  Unfortunately, I do not have a mill, so I have to go to her house and mill the wheat, then take it home and put it in the freezer.  While I was there one morning, I had the opportunity to observe her making breakfast.  She had soaked her grains in her blender overnight.  She simply turned the blender on and added eggs and I am assuming some type of leavening agent and salt. I am not sure about that last part, as I was not watching because I am sure that I was trying not to blow up her mill at this point.  Anyway, I have not gotten this down to perfect measurements yet, so this is not a beginner recipe but if you know anything about making from scratch pancakes, you will be able to figure it out.


So, these are the pancakes from Heaven.  I know, I will never be hired as a food photographer.
Take a cup or so of soft pastry wheat berries and put in a good quality blender or food processor.  Pour in an equal amount milk.  Go to bed. Sleep (hopefully 8 hours). Wake up. Turn on blender. Add a teaspoon and a half of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt, and 3 tbsp of rapadura or organic sugar and 2 eggs. Throw in a bit of vanilla and more milk to make a smooth pancake batter.  Pour about a fourth of a cup full on a hot, oiled skillet or griddle and cook until edges are dry, flip pancake and cook until done.  Serve with syrup, jelly, honey or whatever floats your boat.

I did this this morning. I promise I was in pancake heaven.  I tried to explain to Anna how good they were when we were video chatting this morning.  She doesn't like pancakes or other yummy breads like that because she doesn't like "soggy bread".  I know, she is weird, but she agreed to live vicariously through me.  So, I will let her tell you how good it was:

"The first bite of anything is always the best bite. Especially, when you are not entirely sure of what you are getting and even more so when expectations have been built up and they actually deliver. I had stepped briefly away to tend to a child, so Jessica had already taken that initial first bite. Immediately apon my return she sighed into the computer "Anna, these are the best pancakes I have ever eaten". This is where my vicarious experience begins. Suddenly, I am transported there, to her breakfast table (or her recliner as it is also known as), and I begin to experience pancakes like never before. As Jessica takes each bite and her pupils dialate and her facial muscles relax into what can only be described as, a look of euphoria, I begin to question my stance on certain bread products. The rich, nutty flavor of freshly ground wheat grain, baking soda, and other ingredients elicit moans of "mmmmmmm" over and over again until finally Jessica is left on her chair with the look of something between complete bliss and deliriousness. Then I wish I had experienced the first bite. Never have I vicariously experienced pancakes as good as these."



post signature
post signature

No comments: