Monday, November 21, 2011

Puppy Chow for People!

I am having "one of those days." You know the kind that sends you running to the kitchen in high hopes of finding something that resembles chocolate? I went to Walmart yesterday and picked up some things I don't normally have, white sugar, sugary cereal, etc... I decided that I would make some puppy chow for Thanksgiving. Contrary to what Anna thought, this is not dog food. :) It is super little bits of heaven that start by melting in your mouth, then when you bite down, chocolate assaults you in the most fabulous way! This is my own recipe, as I wanted to use golden graham cereal and more chocolate! This makes a ton and is appropriate for breakfast....


Start with 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup of butter, 1 bag of chocolate chips. Melt them over low heat in a large pot.

Add 10 cups of Golden Graham cereal.  I used the off brand :)
Stir very gently, but thoroughly to coat.
Dump in 3 cups of powdered sugar.  Stir very gently and make sure the cereal is coated completely in sugar.
This is the finished product. SOOOOO GOOOD!
This is what happens when you set it on the table and turn your back for half a second.
So, to give you a quick recap:

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
10 cups of golden grahams cereral
3 cups of powdered sugar

Melt together peanut butter, butter, chocolate chips in a large pot on low heat.  Add cereal. Stir to coat. Take off heat.  Add powdered sugar. Stir to coat. Serve. So Yummy!
post signature

3 comments:

Heather Rae said...

Oooh, it sounds yummy! I'm having a link-up on my blog today for crafts or anything remotely related to Thanksgiving, if you'd like to join!

Cristi said...

I've always hunted for a ziploc bag large enough to shake the powdered sugar and all the puppy chow. I'll have to try stirring next time.

PS -- It works great with a peanut butter substitute for any nut allergic children. (We use Sunbutter in ours.)

Jenny said...

I make this all of the time, but without the butter and with corn Chex instead of Golden Grahams.

I melt milk chocolate chips first, then add PB and melt more. I then stir in some vanilla and the Chex cereal. Then stir in powdered sugar until it's coated well. I never measure it, and have been known to make just enough for my dinner. LOL!