Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Years are Short, Do You Know Jesus?

I understand the "midlife crisis" better than ever.  I am 37 years old. There is just not enough time to live.

I look at the elderly and know, if Christ tarries in his return, that will be me.  I found several grey hairs on my head the other day.  The skin on my hands is losing elasticity faster than I can prevent it.  There are new lines on my forehead, around my eyes, and laugh lines are appearing.  I am aging, dying slowly (I hope), and one day will no longer be in this world.

This life that I love is going to be over before I know it.

I had some trouble sleeping not too long ago, as I was just overwhelmed with the thoughts of how short life is.  I was considering and praying for some friends of mine that are not believers.  I feel so badly for them.   For several minutes I wondered, "What if?  What if my belief is just that? My belief?  What if there is nothing to it."  I realized that would mean that when I die, there is nothing. I no longer exist.  There is no more Jessica.  I would be completely gone.

I understand why people feel urgency to "do something" and to "make their mark" on the world.  They don't want to be forgotten.

The whole idea nearly brought me to tears and made me feel scared.

The only way that I could find any measure of peace with my thoughts is because I do know a Savior.  I know Jesus.  I know that this life is not the end. Although I love this life, I really, really love this life, I know that there is so much more.  I am not yet anxious to meet the next life, but I do find a tremendous amount of relief knowing that it is there, waiting for me.

Christ is there, waiting for you.  Please, know Him.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit

Ephesians 2:8-9  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.


Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.


Romans 10:9 -10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

post signature

No comments: