Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm Just a Sinner Saved by Grace


Homeschooling does not make me more of a Christian than those who send their child to public school. Homeschooling is not a magical cleansing of my filthy unrighteousness or that of my children. Homeschooling does not equal the grace and mercy, justice and punishment, and faith and repentance required to save me or my children from the fate we deserve. Homeschooling does not mean that we are more virtuous, less sinful, or more deserving of Christ's favor. Homeschooling is not Salvation.

We do not homeschool because we believe it is a way to be saved. The Bible very clearly tells us that ALL HAVE SINNED (Romans 3:23) and that there are NONE RIGHTEOUS (Romans 3:10). The Bible also clearly tells us that SALVATION IS NOT BY WORKS (Ephesians 2:8) but through REPENTANCE(II Corinthians 7:10) and Faith IN JESUS CHRIST (Romans 10:9) and that once we are saved NOTHING CAN "UNSAVE" US (John 10:28).

I still believe it is just about IMPOSSIBLE to send a child into the public school system and have them come out whole, but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE that homeschooling is our salvation.

How could I boast of anything I've ever seen or done?
How could I dare to claim as mine the vict'ries God has won?
Where would I be had God not brought me gently to this place?
I'm here to say I'm nothing but a sinner saved by grace

I'm just a sinner saved by grace
When I stood condemned to death
He took my place
Now I live and breathe in freedom with each breath of life I take
Loved and forgiven
Back with the living
I'm just a sinner saved by grace

The Gaither Vocal Band "Sinner Saved By Grace"




6 comments:

Amy said...

So true, Anna!

Christie said...

Well said. I love that song!

Chrystal said...

I agree that homeschooling isn't the yellow brick road to heaven, but I don't agree that "The Bible also clearly tells us that SALVATION IS NOT BY WORKS (Ephesians 2:8) but through REPENTANCE(II Corinthians 7:10) and Faith IN JESUS CHRIST (Romans 10:9) and that once we are saved NOTHING CAN "UNSAVE" US (John 10:28)." My reasons:

- Faith w/o works is dead, Js. 2:20 & 26
- There is more involved than just faith and repentance, Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16
- It IS possible to lose salvation, Rom 3:21 through the entirety of chapter 6 (not taking phrases out of context as if they're not part of Paul's overall message), Rom 12:1-2, Heb 10:26-27 and Rev 2:15-16

I know salvation wasn't the point of your post, but I felt compelled to point those verses out.

Thosetwogirls said...

Chrystal, I had an entire response typed out and then accidentally hit the back button. I will address every one of your verses and tell you why I still believe in assured salvation through repentance and faith when I have a moment to sit down again and address is appropriately.

Thosetwogirls said...

1.Works are a result of faith. Not a way to Salvation. I would consider this, if someone is not showing evidence of salvation through works, it is higly possible they aren't really saved. You can not reconcile Ephesians 2:8 with works based salvation. The verse says "not of works" when I am relying on my good deeds (which are never going to meet God's standards, for they are filthy rags in his sight!), then I am not relying fully on the righteousness of Christ and his perfect sacrifice. Furthermore if works are a part of salvation then Christ's sacrifice wasn't enough. God does not need or require my help to get me to heaven. He does however call me to exhibit works as evidence of my salvation.

2. Baptism is the first step after salvation. I admit to not being as ready to talk about this point as some of the others. I do know that if baptism was required for salvation (which baptism is a WORK) then it would have been mentioned every time that salvation was. Also, baptism is a work and salvation is clearly not based on our works per Ephisians 2:8.

3. Right under Romans 3:21 in verse 24 is the answer to this. We are justfied freely through his grace in redemption that is through Christ Jesus. Romans is an amazing book dealing with justification through repentance and faith and sanctification through Christ Jesus. Hebrews 10 is referring to those who have heard the gospel and refuse to act on it. They have knowlege without application; head knowlege without heart knowlege. Read Hebrews 10:22. I need to find the reference but Paul said to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. If sin can take me out from under the righteousness of Christ's blood then I would question whether he was really God!


Titus 3:5-7

5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

7That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Thosetwogirls said...

A few extra verses

1 John 5:11-13
1 John 5:11-13 (English Standard Version)
11And this is the testimony, that God gave us(A) eternal life, and(B) this life is in his Son. 12(C) Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

That You May Know
13I write(D) these things to you who(E) believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

a side note on the Hebrews verse-the word I was looking for is apostate.